Share all you like, but please copy it right and in context.
Mentioning that you got it from Grooving With A Pict would be right neighborly of ya.
And feel free to feed the fish below (or leave some feedback)!

Your Blogger For The Evening:

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The return of "Happy/Merry/Feliz/Joyous/Blessed [insert holiday of choice here]!"

Things That Drive Me Crazy About Christmas | SBC Voices
So this time of year is full of joy and slight annoyances. I wanted to share my list of humbugs with you as we are all joyus [sic] and grouchy.
A Christmas Rant by Dan Barnes « Εις Δοξαν [Links to the above; the last sentence in my response below only appears here.]
Dan has done some of the work for those who would like to air a few grievances Frank Costanza style about many who like to combat those who perpetuate the so-called "War on Christmas."
 See also: Happy/Merry/Feliz/Joyous/Blessed [insert holiday of choice here]!
Just wondering if you've seen In Defense of "Happy Holidays" | 9Marks, which is very similar to this post?  I've never quite understood the purpose of the campaign to get stores to get their employees to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays".  Let's suppose, for the sake of argument and against all common sense, that they are wildly successful in their efforts and stores switch to saying "Merry Christmas" en masse.  Does anyone really expect that people are going to start thinking, "Wow, all these employees keep saying 'Merry Christmas' to me, therefore Christianity must be true.  I'd never have seen the light if they had told me 'Happy Holidays' instead.  I better go repent right now. <sigh>  I just wish I could thank each and every Christian that fought the war for Christmas because without them, I would have never seen the errors of my ways."?
As for "justification" of the war, I think what it basically comes down to is that some Christians feel that culture needs to reflect their beliefs in order for them to feel that their beliefs are validated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Your comments go here. Thanks!)

RSS-Pect The Groove

Grooving With A Pict

Groove Back